Hi my name is Keira and I am this week’s junior chef.
I made S’mores Cupcakes from the “American Girl Cookbook”. Here is how you make it:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup crumbled Marie biscuits
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips (mini)
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line 18 cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until fluffy and pale for about three minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Add half of the flour mixer and mix on low speed just until blended.
- Turn off the mixer and pour in the buttermilk.
- Turn of the mixer.
- Add the rest of the flour mix and mix until just blended.
- Turn off the mixer and using a rubber spatula, stir in the Marie biscuits and mini marshmallows.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean (ask and adult to help).
- Ask an adult to help you to remove the pans from the oven and set them on wire racks.
- Let the cupcakes cool for ten minutes, then transfer them to the racks. Let cool.
- Place the chocolate chips into a small microwave safe bowl. Ask an adult to help you microwave the chocolate on high heat, stirring every 20 seconds, until it’s melted and smooth. Don’t let the chocolate get too hot!
- Spread a thin layer of melted chocolate on each cupcake, then top with Marie biscuits and marshmallows.
- Let the chocolate set, then serve.
Enjoy the delicious cupcakes and I hope you had just as much fun as I did making them!