My experiment is called ‘Elephant Toothpaste’. You must have your parent’s permission to do this experiment. Elephant Toothpaste is a foamy experiment that looks like giant toothpaste fit for an elephant.
- Hydrogen Peroxide (6% solution (20-vol)) (1/2 cup)
- Dry Yeast (1 tablespoon (1 sachet))
- Food Colouring (Optional) (8 drops)
- Detergent/Liquid Dish Washing Soap (1 tablespoon)
- Safety Goggles
- Funnel (Optional)
- Small Cup
- Warm Water (3 tablespoons)
- Wear safety goggles and gloves.
- Ask an adult to help pour in the hydrogen peroxide into an empty bottle/container (using a funnel).
- Add food colouring and detergent to the bottle/container.
- Combine warm water and dry yeast in a small cup and stir thoroughly.
- When ready, pour the mixture into the bottle/container (using a funnel) and step back.
- Watch it grow and pour out like Elephant Toothpaste!
- Hydrogen Peroxide is dangerous (poisonous), so make sure you ask an adult to help you pour it in.
- Make sure you do the experiment on a surface that can be cleaning easily.
- Wear gloves and goggles for protection!
- You don’t have to use food colouring or a funnel, but it might be a good idea to use a funnel to make it easier.