Junior Chef

Hi, my name is Mia and I am this week’s “Junior Chef”.  I am going to share with you how to make, “Fruit Tarts”.

INGREDIENTS

Shortcrust pastry

• 125g/4oz plain flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 55g/2oz butter, cubed
  • 30-45ml/2-3 tbsp cold water

Custard Cream

• 3 Egg Yolks
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 Tsp. salt
  • 3/4 Tsp. vanilla
Topping

• Strawberries,
  • Kiwi Fruit,
  • Blueberries

METHOD

Shortcrust pastry

1. Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the cubes of butter.

2. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining. Try to work quickly so that it does not become greasy.

3. Using a knife, stir in just enough of the cold water to bind the dough together.

4. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.

5. Alternatively, use a food processor, put the flour, butter and salt in the food processor and pulse until the fat is rubbed into the flour.

6. With the motor running, gradually add the water through the funnel until the dough comes together. Only add enough water to bind it and then stop.

7. Wrap the dough in clingfilm as before and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.

Custard Cream

1. Beat egg yolks in medium bowl or glass measure; gradually stir in milk until blended.

2. Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large heavy saucepan. gradually stir in a small amount of milk mixture, making a smooth paste. Gradually stir in remaining milk mixture until blended.

3. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat immediately. Pour custard into a bowl and cool down before placing in the fridge. Once the custard has cooled down pour into pastry shells and decorate with fruit.

ENJOY!!

4 thoughts on “Junior Chef

1. I love fruit tarts. They are my favourite dessert. I also like eating the fruit you chose Mia.
    Keep up your interest in cooking.