Junior Scientist

Hi everyone, my name is Oscar and I am one of this week’s junior scientists.This is a science experiment I call How to make pepper jump?

This is a quick and easy experiment that is fun and will wow your friends. Remember to have parent supervision.

Materials:

• A plate or bowl
  • A balloon ( It doesn’t have to be helium)
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Method:

1. Get out your plate or bowl and place it on the table.
  2. Scatter your salt and pepper across the plate. Make sure that the salt and pepper are mixed together.
  3. Rub the balloon quickly against your head back and forth.
  4. Blow up your balloon, if it is not already blown up and aim it over the pepper. Make sure it hovers over the ingredients, no touching them.
  5. Watch. If you have done it properly, the pepper should be jumping up and sticking to the balloon.

Why?

When you rub the balloon on your hair the friction caused by the hair and the balloon rubbing against each other causes the electrons from your hair to transfer to the balloon. This gives the balloon a negative charge. When you hold the balloon over the plate of pepper and salt, the pepper stuck to the balloon because the pepper has protons and a positive charge. Just like with magnets…opposites attract. The salt did not jump because salt is much heavier than pepper. Here is progressive photos below of me doing the experiment.

3 thoughts on “Junior Scientist